Friday, August 31, 2012

That Garbage Can Isn't Just For Garbage

I really wanted to have a funny story in my blog, but I can never remember them so I just thought I would start by talking about the toilets. As in the United States, there are garbage cans in the bathroom. Pretty standard. However, here they are for more than just your kleenex or other normal garbage items. Since the sewer system in Costa Rica isn't quite as updated as that in the United States, you can't flush your toilet paper, so yes, that little garbage can is also for putting your toilet paper after you wipe! Makes going to the bathroom a great adventure! Well that is just one of the few cultural things that are different...but I LOVE IT HERE! Seriously I have just had a blast since I stepped of the plane. The people, atmosphere, weather, food, language, culture. So far I love it all! My host parents are more like grandparents. My host mom, Mami, pretty much just stays at home and cooks delicious food that is usually rice and beans and chicken in different ways, and cleans the house. My host dad, Papi, pretty much watches "novelas" on TV all day and sometimes goes for a walk with their large golden lab Thomas. Whom I actually like, probably because he just lays around all day. When I am at home I watch novelas with Papi or talk with Mami. There are more family members but you would get bored hearing about all of them. However, my host "sister", who is more like an aunt, and her 2 kids live right down the street and are awesome! We had orientation for a couple hours the first 2 days but other than that have just had time to hang out with our families and walk around the town or do whatever. Yesterday was the Dia de San Ramon, which is a large festival that actually lasts all weekend so there are booths with food, lots of music, food, activities, a parade of the saints and other things that we have been enjoying. Not sure what I am going to do with my time off before school starts on Monday but I am sure it will be great! Thank you all for all of your prayers. I have seriously been feeling the power of them because there is not one time so far that I have been here that I have felt stressed or overwhelmed or sad or anything, even though sometimes people talk to me and I have no idea what they are saying. Please keep praying that I will feel that peace and that it will continue as school starts and that I will keep my eyes on the Lord and be continually reminded of Him and His presence. Love you all and enjoy the pictures....

1 comment: